Monday, August 2, 2010

Victory Garden?

It all began with a yellow bell pepper. I love red, yellow and orange bell peppers; I can eat them like some people will go through potato chips. However, as anyone that spends any time in the produce section of any market can attest, these are usually priced at a premium. Like these things are filled with top-shelf caviar or something. So, I have decided I have to start a vegetable garden in my backyard. I am over paying $3.99 for a single bell pepper laced with all manner of pesticides. Local produce options around here for organic are limited (without spending a small fortune) and I have to admit I am totally jealous of people I know that have already mastered their own backyard gardens, even if all they yield is one type of produce. My husband has been dying for any reason to use his skill saw more often, so commissioning him to build some raised bed planters for the garden project should satisfy us both.

So now begins the scouring of the internet for information. I will undoubtedly wade through hundreds, if not thousands, of wise how-tos based on years of trial and error by folks with a much higher level of dedication than I currently posess, but I am definitely striving for. I want to be good at this. I want success and to reap the (literal) fruits of my labor.

Why not just buy organic produce? Isn't it everywhere at the stores in that 4th largest city in the United States that you live in?

I'm glad you asked.

Aside from being what I consider cost prohibitive (and please don't start on me about how I will probably spend more money getting an organic garden started than I would on a month's worth of organic produce or how the benefits of consuming organic fruits and vegetables greatly outweigh any extra cost), I think that anyone who has farmed or gardened with any level of success will tell you that there is something inherently satisfying about getting out there, getting your hands dirty, sweating and watching something that you have tended to bear fruit. And no, I just can't bear to bring myself to buy organic produce at any major supermarket chain when there's the exact same thing sitting over across the aisle for $1.50 less a pound. I'm a sucker for a deal. I admit it. Also, with organic, you're only promised no icky chemicals. I can't be garaunteed for my extra money that the organic produce is any more nutrient-dense (I don't care what anyone says), and that's what I am interested in. If I grow it myself, in dirt that I am creating and nourishing myself, I have quality control over the poduct from germination to plate. There is something about this that greatly excites the control freak in me.

So purchase numero uno after commissioning my husband to create raised beds was seeds. I visited the local AgriLife Extension services page and decided to purchase seeds from seedsofchange.com based on the upcoming optimal planting time for this zone. All in all, I came out with two different kinds of herbs (parsley and rosemary), three sweet pepper varieties (green, red and orange), two chili pepper varieties (jalapeno and habanero), broccoli and romaine lettuce. Shipping included, I spent ~$47.00 for all of my seeds, all certified organic. As a bonus, moms is rooting a basil cutting for me from her plant--hooray!

I am currently looking at plans for planter boxes that we can build and put in the back corner of the backyard. I am thinking a 4-5' wide bed will be plenty large, but haven't decided on the length yet. The oleander currently back there will be removed (boy did my husband's eyes light up when he heard this), and the garden should get ample sun throughout the day and some decent afternoon shade, thanks to the neighbor's crape myrtle on the other side of the fence. Will make sure to post pictures of this project once the build is underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment